AORE’s series So You Want to Be A is a 30 minute virtual [and casual!] conversation designed to highlight different career paths in the industry, removing barriers and the need to know someone and allowing jobs to be accessible by all.
More info coming soon!
So You Want to Be A... Wilderness Medicine Instructor
Wilderness Medicine Training Center International (WMTC)
- Candidates must be a WMTC course graduate to apply; we want you to understand what our courses are like and how we teach before applying. Please read the information on this page and complete the Instructor Training Course (ITC) application form. We also ask applicants to submit two 5-10 minute videos of themselves teaching along with some other materials (found on the application page) by June 15, 2022 for consideration in the November 2022 ITC. After receiving your application, someone from WMTC will be in touch (likely via email) to schedule an interview/conversation. The goals of that conversation are to get to know you a little better, explore how your goals align with WMTC’s and vice versa, and make a plan for next steps.
If accepted to the ITC, you will receive more information and access to materials to help you prepare for the course. Training is an ongoing process that extends beyond the ITC ends and includes apprenticing under the mentorship of other instructors until you’re ready to teach courses on our own. Please reach out to us if you’d like to discuss what this might look like for you and to ask any questions you have!
- Review the instructor application
- Reach out to Paul Nicolazzo, Director of WMTC if you have questions!
- Reach out to Tiana White, WMTC Instructor Trainer if you have questions!
Wilderness Medical Associates International (WMA)
More than 700 outdoor recreation professionals, enthusiasts and students across the nation (and abroad!) are active members of the Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education.
We are proud to bring together current and aspiring outdoor programmers from
- colleges, universities and junior colleges,
- for-profit organizations and
- non-profit organizations
Members receive benefits such as AORE e-news, message boards, job postings, networking opportunities and discounted rates for AORE workshops and conferences.
Please feel free to download this AORE Membership Justification Letter as a resource to present the value of an AORE membership to your supervisor.
To join AORE today, click here for an online membership form.